Saturday, October 18, 2008

Introducing: KIEFER the KITTEN!

The hole that has been in my heart has been filled. Ryan and I adopted Kiefer (yes, as in Sutherland), yesterday from the Carson City Animal Shelter. There were so many orange tabbys but this little guy won us over. He has such a spunky personality, and is extremley affectionate.

There is one problem though. He is not potty-trained. I guess I got really lucky with Frances, because he came potty-trained. Not this one. Ryan and I went to the store yesterday to pick up some seasonings for dinner last night, and we come back in, and the house smells like poo or pee. We search high and low, and no poo or pee to be found. We're not sure if he just farted or what.

So, last night I head to bed and was changing into my jammies and just threw my clothes on the floor instead of putting them in the hamper, 8 feet away (Sidenote: I am just like my family, Aunt Elizabeth didn't put her clothes in the laundry hamper and the next morning found Pepper in her socks that smelled like bag balm... HAHA).

The next morning I woke up to my pants with a big pile of poo on them, and my bra with a huge yellow stain. Wow, I was furious. But at the same time I understand that kittens are kittens and you can't punish them for going and doing nature's thing... Then right before I went to right this blog he pee'd on a blanket that was on the couch and floor.

So now we get to potty train little Kiefer. I have been doing a lot of research because I am not quite sure what to do... I am sure someone in my family knows how to help me, so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Now it's time for more pictures!!!







The adoption woman was really sweet. She let us have the entire cat area to ourselves. She let us play with all of them. We picked out 5 orange tabby kittens, and played with them for a while. We narrowed it down to the 2 we enjoyed the most and Ryan picked his favorite! We are going to take him to the vet throughout the next week, to see what he's going to need in the next few months. Shots will come first, then the neuter, then the $30 check from the City of Carson City -- thanking us for adopting a homeless kitten and taking care of it.

Very much unlike the people that were infront of us at the animal shelter. It was a woman and her daughter who had been evicted from their house, but didn't take their animals with them. They had 4 dogs, 3 cats, 1 parrot (with his beak so curled he could barely eat), 2 bunnies, a few reptiles, and a turtle. The woman told us that the house was so full of feces that it took 4 people to bust the door open to get to the animals. Clearly these people could not take care of an animal, nonetheless the 11 or so they horded.

The animal control woman told the mother that there was no way that she was going to give the animals back to them until they could provide proof that they were living in an area suitable for such animals. (Carson City is kinda wack huh?) The young daughter left crying, upset that they wouldn't give her her animals. Ridiculous.

I guess I didn't realize that they're are people who could get so many animals, and not care about any of them, and have them all living in such a disgusting, unhealthy environment. Especially since I am so happy with my new little boy, I would never want him to have to live like that.


However I would like it if he learned how to use the litter box.

4 comments:

Evann Carter said...

OH MY GOSH! OH MY GOSH! HE IS SO CUTE!

Sorry about your pants and bra, hope you have some frebreeze or oust. Sara came potty trained so we didn't have to deal with that. Dad would have proberly exploded and taken Sara back...

oddiomixer said...

Lock him in the bathroom with the kitty liter box. Or something like that.

Elizabeth said...

oh, he is cute!!! I don't know how to litter box train them, all of ours just kind of knew what to do. The last 3 were really tiny but they figured out that box right away. The pee smell will never come out of whatever they pee on, so just throw that stuff away. I'm really surprised that he doesn't know how to use the box because he would have used one at the shelter-maybe he is just a little scared and confused.

Meghan said...

Ya know, the shelter I adopted Frances from had litter boxes in each cubby that the kittens were in. But the one in Carson City didn't have any litter boxes just newpaper and the food trays. It was odd.