Monday, February 25, 2008

Triple Whammy

About two weeks ago I started feeling a cold coming on. Of course I did nothing to prevent it. I didn't take any Emergen-C, or Airborne, or extra vitamins... nothing. Boy, I have learned my lesson. Two Fridays ago I was working and that is when I started lightly coughing and my throat hurt a little. I had Saturday and Sunday off so I took it really easy. I did absolutley nothing. I sat in my recliner, watched tv, drank lots of fluids, and took lots of NyQuil and Tylenol Cold. But the cold kept coming on strong. I was coughing, sneezing (green mucus), had a migrane, a fever, and to top it all of two days in a row I had a painful sensation in each of my ears (left ear on Saturday, right ear on Sunday). It was horrible. I called sick on Monday hoping that it would go away, but no luck. There was no way that I could call in sick two days in a row because here at Embassy you have to have a doctors note. I was putting the doctors off at long as possible, because I do have insurance... but the Urgent Care doesn't take HMO which means the visit would have been between $90 and $120, which I don't really want to pay for right now... There are more bills and rent that are a little more important. So frustrating... Anyways, I went to work on Tuesday and Wednesday and I was miserable. Spent the entire time coughing up a lung feeling like I was going to die. Thursday morning I woke up and took Ryan to work, when I got back home I felt a little nauseaous. And the next thing I know I was over the toilet, puking my brains out. Actually it was all stomach acid but it felt like it was my brains. Side note - when I throw up I normally have so much pressure and force that I break a lot of capillaries in my face. I end up looking like I have a rash all above my eyes. I HATE throwing up, I could never be bulemic... hahahaa. Anyways, after spending two hours over the toilet, I call Ryan and tell him to come home and take me to Urgent Care, asap.

Once I get there it takes me 20 minutes to see a doctor (RECORD TIMING I KNOW!!!!) and he diagnoses me with a) Flu b) Ear Infection AND c) Bronchitus. Wow. Thank god I went, I just thought I had the flu. He sends me home with a perscription for some amoxicillian, and two days later I feel perfect. All in all I spent $90 on the visit and $8 on the antibiotics (thanks to good ole AAA). Alas I am all better, still coughing lightly, getting out all of the rest of the mucus. But boy did I learn my lesson... Take your vitamins and your airborne... It's truly better in the long run.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yikes! I'm glad you're feeling better! I hear you on the puking thing, when I would get morning sickness I would break a lot of blood vessels too. I'll do just about anything to avoid throwing up. It was probably from the ear infection, it throws off your inner ear balance like when you get seasick. I've been feeling like I've been coming down with something the last few days so I did the zinc tablet thing and that helps a lot.

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Yuk - I have had a small cold / cough since we left CA - I guess all the stress of moving my life finally got to me.
Did you ever find your camera "thing" so you could post some pics of Tahoe?
xoxo
H & J

Jennifer said...

Meg....

I need a new post!!!!! Give us some pictures of you guys and Tahoe!!

Love me