Thursday, November 6, 2008

I Guess You Can't Win Them All.

I am still in shock. I think it might take a while for it to really hit me that I am alive -- and the United States of America, just voted the first 1/2 black, 1/2 white President, Barack Hussein Obama. It is truly amazing. I am so proud to be an Obama supporter. And I am proud (for the first time in a while now) to be an American. I am so thankful that people got out there and voted in what they believed in. I was amazed to see the numbers just keep climbing and climbing.

I can't wait to see what the next four years have in store for us. I really think that Obama has the power to turn around this country. And I voted for him, because I believe he will make a change. When he was giving his speech on Tuesday night, I was in tears. I was so moved. For the first time in eight years, the president sounded competent. I believed what he was saying, not making fun of it. He is full of knowlege and strength, and I am just delighted.

However... Prop 8 passed. Which I think (Grandma , WARNING -- close your eyes), is utter bullshit. I think that marriage is for everyone. Love is love. I can't imagine how all of the gays & lesbians feel right now. I bet they feel stripped of their rights. I am straight, I have no problems with gays. They don't affect me. They do their thing, I do mine. I have quite a few friends who are gay and are just outraged. And there is nothing I can say to them except that I'm sorry so many people are so ignorant.

I have family members who are gay. My deceased aunt Mary-Ellen was a lesbian, with a partner and a son. I never met her because she did pass away before I was born. But I commend her for coming out during a time where it was against the norm to have such a relationship.

I truly thought that Californian's were over it. I hope that in two years we can overturn this terrible prop, and give everyone what I someday will have. A beautiful wedding, a beautiful family and a beautiful life.

3 comments:

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

We agree!

Elizabeth said...

I was really kind of shocked but then again not surprised that 8 passed. There are so many people out there who think that they have the right to decide what people should do in their personal lives. It was a close race, so maybe next time around gay marriage will come back and stay.

Jennifer said...

I was ticked off that it passed. If we really want to make some money in our state, then we should legalize gay marriage and open up a bunch of Vegas type wedding chapels. That would help with our economy!!! I can't believe how closed minded most of California is.