Sunday, May 10, 2009

5 Things I Learned From My Mother

In spirit of Mother's Day... I decided to do a post about five things I have learned from my beautiful mother.

1. You must love yourself, before you can love another.
She made sure that I understood that you can't accept someone else, and love someone else, if you don't love and accept who you are. My mom made sure I knew that I had to know who I was before I ran off and fell in love.

2. (I never believed it when I was younger and when should would tell me this repeatedly but...) I am very blessed to have such beautiful red hair.

3. (I didn't believe this one when I was a kid either...) WEAR SUNSCREEN LITTLE MISS ALABASTER
After a few too many sunburns I finally understand, that I can't get away with 'tanning', and not wearing sunscreen.

4. That one day I will love my sisters and we'll be best friends
I remember fighting with Caity so much growing up. Always wanting to punch her and kick her out of the house for being an annoying brat. I remember wanting her to stop copying me and stop following me. Then when she started getting older she started using my stuff... I would get so pissed to come home and find something of mine in her room, or notice her wearing my makeup or jewlery. I didn't fight with Eeepers too much, because that's what Caity was there for.
But of course, mom was right. I love my sisters to pieces. I never want to punch them or kick them out of the house anymore. Evann is almost a teen, and Caity is already on her way to being 16, and we are super close. I can't wait to see what we will be like in a few years -- we're gonna be best friends.

5. "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes, you might find, you get what you need."
Great song. Great band. Great lesson. She told me this a lot... a lot, a lot. I always remind myself of this when I get into a situation where not everything is going my way. It doesn't always calm me down... but it helps.


Love you, and miss you Mommy.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

aww...what a sweet post! I remember when we went to the beach when you were about 2, slathered you in sunscreen but missed one little spot under your eye which of course burnt immediately!

Meghan said...

If I remember this story correctly, there were fingerprints, right underneath my eye where my mom didn't want to get to close to my eyeball. lol.

Jim and Heather on Meerkat said...

Oh yeah the sunburns...
I love #4 - so, so, so very true. I know because I used to fight with your Mommy, then she was my best friend when we were older.

And how about something you learned from me: You will understand how I feel about you when one of your siblings has a child.
Ha ha!! Laina, Renee and Zak are so sick of me saying that, but it is ssssooooo true!!!!!!
You are a beautiful sweet red head that loves herself (but does burn...)
xoxo